Monday, March 26, 2007

TV, why a bad thing?

Anothing ranting of mine. . .

I recently encountered a Christian blog that listed things NOT to do when one wants a full and wholesome life and a couple items included “don’t spend too much time in front of TV” and “don’t turn on the tube at dinner time.” I have to say that hubby and I are ‘guilty’ on both accounts. Okay, I understand the rationale behind these two advices: our precious spare time should be devoted to God or communication with our loved ones and not on hours of meaningless entertainment. Well, that’s just the thing, I don’t think TV is meaningless entertainment. I gain and learn a lot from watching TV.

Take TV sitcoms, I think some shows are hilarious and their value lies in the fact that they make me laugh. We all know laughter is good for the body and soul, and can’t be bought with money. One of the recommendations given to cancer patients is to watch funny TV shows or movies to help them relax and get their minds off of things.

Also, I’ve come to appreciate the smart TV show writers and actors that come up with the comedic stuff. How is it bad to enjoy and appreciate other’s true talent? Yes, I know many of those Hollywood people are non-Christians, and even anti-Christian and their views are sometimes reflected in their work. So, am I supporting anti-Christian messages when I watch TV? If that’s the argument, then I shouldn’t eat at restaurants after church on Sunday so as to not support an establishment full of workers that don’t attend church. And I should never visit Disney World then because we all know the anti-Christian views expressed by the Disney corporation and their subsidiaries. Well, then, also no animated Disney movies or any Hollywood movies just to be consistent. Clearly, I won’t buy that impractical and extreme route of thinking. I’m not a trash can, I don’t just accept anything and everything that is thrown at me. I can take the entertainment and occasionally educational value from TV and leave the dregs where it belongs, outside of my head.

TV shows often reveal very canny insights into the human condition. Take “Sex in the City,” surely one of the most smartly written shows ever! I’m not single, I don’t live in New York, and I believe pre-marital sex is wrong, but I can still appreciate the witty commentaries made on romantic relationships although they don't apply to me. Yes, I agree some characters and personalities are exaggerated and border on the unreal. For example, the husband/father in “According to Jim,” he’s is a fat, beer-chugging, anti-health, anti-sensitive man compared to his hard-working, wise, thin, gorgeous and motherly wife. He just annoys me. I agree with Dr. James Dobson that shows like that give a wrong and skewed portrayal of the husband/father as a weak-minded and insensitive boor, not at all like the head-of-the-house and take-charge type of father-figure espoused by Christianity. There are other examples such as Ray in “Everybody Loves Raymond.” However, I’d like to think I’m smart and mature enough to make that discernment and won't let those wrong characterizations affect me. For example, I would never accept those portrayals of man as what’s real or what my husband should be. I take what I can from those shows, namely that the shows are family-oriented and they do get some things right: the husbands works to support the family, the mothers stay at home, they love each other and their children, and they always strive to work out their problems. And of course, they are funny.

The other argument against TV is that it replaces conversations between family members. I DISagree, in my case, at least. If anything, hubby and I have more to share and talk about because of TV since TV brings up many interesting topics. Sure, they are not always deep or philosophical, but nevertheless, we love to talk about a crime that was reported on the evening news, or discuss an intense basketball game, or debate an investigative report on 20/20, or gossip about the outlandish romances on “Grey’s Anatomy.” Hubby and I simply never run out of things to say to each other, it’s something I’m grateful for. We certainly talk about serious and deep stuff outside of TV, too, to the point where I tell him, “honey, I really have to go to sleep now.” If some people feel like that TV usurps their communication time with their loved one, I venture to say they have a communication problem regardless of the TV. How do they know they won’t just sit in silence at dinner time with the TV off? Or if they force it too much, maybe the conversation will be just too contrived?

Like it or not, TV is here to stay. Which workplace doesn’t have a group of men that gathers around to talk about the latest basketball or football game? I’ve seen hubby do it with friends, it’s good male bonding time. And I have on more than one occasion struck up a conversation with someone on the latest elimination or our favorite contestants on “American Idol.” In a society as diverse as America, TV is something that brings people together. Yes, it’s a rather superficial topic and no friendship can sustain on the commonality of TV alone, but it’s the gateway to get to know your collegeaus and acquaintances better. As for people who are worried about parents not spending enough time with their kids because of TV, then by all means go out and play catch together, go fishing together, read a book together. And plan to watch an hour of your favorite show on TV, too. There’s nothing wrong with that, unless you actually resort to using TV as a babysitter. Then, that’s just wrong!

Finally, there are people that say TV turns your mind to mush, and it’s a waste of time and mind. Well, yes, there are times, I feel like I should have been doing something more productive like studying or cleaning the house or exercising, but by and large I’m on top of my studying, house upkeep and exercise. I’d say TV has provoked me to think more, especially outside of my field. Even commercials have their value although I admit they mostly become too repetitive for my enjoyment or maybe I just watch too much TV! Commercials and TV shows are sometimes a reflection of our popular culture. For example, I have noticed more and more Asian Indian actors and portrayals in both commercials and TV shows. Their portrayals are almost always of first generation immigrants and are not always flattering but they seem to always be funny with a focus on the very distinctive Asian Indian accent. If you are a Simpson’s fan, then you know the Indian character, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Ph.D, who is a stereotypical convenience store owner. Just today I saw a new Bud Light commerical featuring Asian Indians. How about the character Kelly Kapoor, an all-American Asian Indian on the show, “The Office.” In one episode, at an office party, she was given the “Spicy Curry” Award by her inappropriate boss, and Kelly with her perfect American accent, looks confused and asked,”what’s the Spciy Curry Award?” Although not evident here, but it was really funny on TV. So, my big question is ,why have there been a recent surge Asian Indian characters in the popular media? Is it because the media is appealing to the ever growing Asian Indian population who undoubtedly have a huge spending power? If yes, then why not target the comparably sized Chinese population? I simply don’t see any character portrayals of Chinese-Americans on TV shows and only rarely in commericals. Or is it because the Indian accent strikes more people as funny and is easy to caricature? The Chinese accent just doesn’t seem as comical to imitate. Or perhaps there are more Asian Indian TV show writers and moviemakers and they have pushed to see more representation of their own kind in media? If yes, then where are the Chinese-American script writers, actors, and directors? Don’t tell me they are all becoming Ph.D physicists, restaurant owners, or engineers! Hmm, I wonder whether a communications major or marketing researcher can answer my question. . .

Okay, so getting back to the original topic at hand. I don’t think TV is a bad thing, at all. I hate any kind of portrayal of violence, so I avoid it like the mosquito, mostly I watch shows that are family-friendl. I know it’s entertainment and not gospel so I certainly don’t practice what TV preaches if there is any preachings at all. I agree, I’m an adult and can make these distinctions but kids often can not. So, I’d definitely curtail if not prohibit outright my kids watching TV until they reach a certain age. For example, if my young son watches “family” sitcoms, he might think being a man means you can act stupid, or if my pre-adolecence daughter watches “America’s Next Top Model,” she might be pressured to think being unhealthily thin should be her life goal.** Or my children will incessantly ask for sugary cereals thanks to endless cartoon commercials. So, yes, I’m keenly aware of these issues, partly because I watch TV. But our family is just hubby and I for now, so TV is in our life and I’m giving it the accolades and place it deserves.

**I have to add here that to Tyra Banks' credit (creator and host of America's Next Top Model), she did do an awesome and empowering show (The Tyra Banks Show) on how women should accept their weight and love their bodies despite the message "thin is beautiful" in our culture and media. She came out and defended herself after the media bashed her for gaining 40 lbs. after retiring from her modeling career. She stood proud and beautiful. You see, TV can be good for women!! She has also added two plus-sized models on ANTM. Yes, I know they are tokens more than anything else, but still I admire this model-turned-TV-mogul's voice into this touchy topic. She is one of my TV role models along with Oprah who also brings important subjects into people's minds.

0 comments: