Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Fancy Fruits

I was in an Asian grocery store with hubby recently and suddenly had the craving for durian. Perhaps it was the smell flowing through the air? I found my way to a large crate of fresh durian, some were already cracked, exposing the creamy yellow flesh and particular aroma. When we got to the checkout counter, it was $20 ($4.99/lb)! The cashier asked me if I still wanted it, I impulsively said “yes.” Then she asked if I ever tried it, and it’s “yes” again. It’s the only fruit I know that comes with a warning label for it’s smell and taste!




Didn’t mean to spend quite so much on a fruit, but oh well. Here are a couple of pictures of the durian with a lime next to it for size. Luckily both Paul and I like the taste. How can one enjoy it with the other hating it? Durian is a controversial fruit, indeed. Either you are repulsed by the pungent smell (onion-like with a touch of banana sweetness) or you love its unique flavor. Durian is a native Southeast Asian fruit, it’s name means “thorny” in Malay.

I always like to know the nutrition of the food I eat so I did some research. (See right, 243 grams is about 1 cup) I was once told that durian is high in cholesterol. Not true! It has no cholesterol, only unsaturated fat, which is the good kind of fat. It’s also very high in potassium and vitamin C. Very nutritious but high in calories.

Another fruit hubby and I have been enjoying lately is fresh jujube, also known as Chinese date or zao. I'm used to eating the dried form which is used a lot in Chinese cooking, but I've only recently started eating fresh jujube. It tastes like apple but not quite as juicy or sweet. Just really simple and earthy, you know?

I took the picture on the left, and found the tree-bearing picture on the internet.

0 comments: