Monday, February 26, 2007

March to my Goals

I can not believe that it's almost March! Time is marching by way too fast. Why can't we slow down or stretch time like Herr Eisenheim did in the movie "The Illusionist"? Great movie, BTW. I just started a new rotation today, my last and final one as a medical student!! It's a light month time-wise, actually, it's practically vacation as I'm off half of the week!! In light of my spare time increasing by 50%, I've set myself some goals for this new month. They are fun, productive, and achievable, like all goals should be!

1. Read Philip Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew." We are using the video and workbook versions for our small group Bible study on Saturday nights. Reading of the actual book is optional, but I really enjoyed the chapter I read while preparing to lead the lesson last week, so I decided to read the book along with our weekly lessons. I realize I gain so much more from reading the book along with the video, workbook and group discussions. I found an used book at Half-Priced Books for $8. This would be the first book that's non-medical I've read in many years and I'm really looking forward to it.



2. Study for Clinical Skills exam that's scheduled for April 2 in Philly. This is the last hurdle I need to pass before graduation. The day-long practical (hands-on with trained patients) exam cost $1,000 not including airfare and hotel! I must pass it or. . .let's just say I will be in a very sad state indeed if I fail!





3. Get back into step aerobics! Actually, any group exercise classes will do-- resistance training/weight-lifting, cycling, kickboxing, etc. Having been out of the aerobics class scene for quite a while, I really miss it. I just signed up for a 2-week free trial at Bally's. The picture is from the web but I have that exact same step, one that I used during my teaching days.



4. Finally, pick up knitting. I've been wanting to learn to knit for a long time. Now that I've got my feet wet in cooking (something a lot more practical and benificial to my hubby), I can feel good about learning to knit (something I consider purely fun and for myself). I have found various classes ranging from one-on-one to semi-private for $10-$15/hour. Luckily, I have two good friends, Lee Lee and Juei who are pros at knitting and they've graciously agreed to teach me! I also just found out that wooden or plastic knitting needles (but not metal ones) shorter than 31 inches are allowed on airplanes so I can knit during my long overseas flight to Asia in April and May!








2 comments:

Unknown said...

You and Paul going on vacation? How fun, we hope that you both will have a good time :)

SummerSky said...

Hi Ruth,
We are going to Japan and Taiwan for 2 weeks on April 25!