Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bye, Bye, Blacky!

I'm just so happy I didn't have to title this post, "R.I.P Blacky". . .

Blacky the cat hasn't been doing well for a few days. It all started when he came to me limping one day. He was still moving along fine and had a big appetite like always so I didn't worry too much about it. The next day, however, I saw Blacky hopping on three feet. He was not using his left front leg at all and held his paw up at all times. I could not see any obvious injury but I know he was hurting. I knew at that moment our little arrangement of my feeding him and sheltering him partially while he spends majority of his time as a roamer was not working out. No way will hubby let me adopt another cat and I agree with him. I contacted all of the area's no-kill animal organizations. Finally, a lady named Joyce who runs her own one-woman cat rescue/shelter out of her garage called me back. We arranged to meet at a cat boarding place where she helped out in exchange for temporary use of their cages. She took Blacky and I gave her a donation to help out with Blacky's care. I liked her immediately. Of course, I don't think I can dislike anyone who loves and helps animals. After one look at Blacky, she didn't have much hope. "Oh, he's pitiful, poor little thing," she said. "See all those scars? They are fight wounds, he's been out for a long time. I'm sure he's gotten FIV or FeLV now." Joyce explained that she'll have him tested for FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) and FeLV (feline leukemia) and if Blacky tests postive for either one, there won't be anything she can do. Blacky will be put down because she simply can't adopt out FIV+ or FeLV+ cats. I felt very bad for Blacky, but I know the alternative of living a life of a male, unneutered and homeless cat is also cruel.

While waiting to hear back from Joyce, I wondered if Kitty could have gotten infected from Blacky. Kitty is vaccinated against FelV but not FIV because there is no good vaccination for it. I had done my best to only allow Blacky stage in his cage when he is indoors. Yesterday, I heard back from Joyce. Good news! Blacky tested negative on both accounts! He was neutered and the limping leg is a old fracture which will just take time to heal. After being neutered, I bet Blacky will become even more of a loverboy. A sweet cat he is! Joyce said she'll update me when she finds a home for Blacky.
I'm so grateful there's been a happy turnaround for Blacky. BTW, Joyce has renamed him with my last name. It's bit strange to have a cat called by your last name, but Joyce says this helps her keep track of where the cat came from.

Won't someone take me home? I don't need much, just a small place to sleep, good food, daily petting and I'll give you a lifetime of love!

0 comments: