Friday, January 19, 2007

The Return of Blacky Cat

I returned home from my UTSW residency interview this afternoon and couldn’t find Kitty anywhere in the house. Then I realized she’s been outside all day. Sometimes I let her out before I leave for the day so she can have her “morning potty time,” and then Paul will let her back in before he leaves for work. Perhaps hubby was in a hurry and Kitty just didn’t come back. So I ate a snack, bundled up, and went outside to look for her. Before I could even close the door, Kitty was right there and darted inside from the cold. But guess who was with her? Blacky! I was happy to see Blacky and seeing that he’s doing okay! It’s been weeks since I’ve seen him and I feared the worst had happened to him in the cruel weather. Blacky, being polite and timid, moved slowly and cautiously outside the doorway, until I invited him in, too. Sometime ago, Kitty stopped hissing at Blacky and they have been running around together outside. I think they are buddies now, actually it seems like Blacky is Kitty’s sidekick because he’s always following her around.

In a cage. I put water and food in there for him and Blacky started wolfing down the chow like he was crazy hungry until the last morsel was gone.

Blacky, here out for a short break (b/c of all his meowing). I did not let him roam outside of the kitchen area. Kitty was lying close by and seemed very nonchalant with the new visitor.

A close-up. BTW, Blacky revealed his anatomy enough to show me that he is indeed a male cat. I always knew there was something tom-catish about Blacky.

Blacky was in much better shape than I thought. He's not smelly at all, and the wound at the nape of his neck is now closed, crusted, and dry. I don't see any signs of infection. I don't know how he got along in that below freezing weather. He's a very personable cat, it's a shame he's homeless. So now, the question is, what am I to do with him? My main concern is for his immediate health and safety, aka--having food, water, and shelter from the cold. First off, perhaps hubby would help me giving him a bath. I don't know about Blacky, but a clean cat will make me feel much better. Then, I'll try (again) to place him with a non-kill shelter. Note to self: absolutely no keeping of stray cat this time! . . .although Blacky does get along with Kitty awfully well . . .

0 comments: