Friday, February 16, 2007

Too Cool for Valentine's Day. . .

. . .just kidding! Actually, hubby and I are celebrating Valentine's Day today, Friday. We decided ahead of time to push it back because I had a Powerpoint presentation due today and was bedbound working on it on Feb 14. You might guess I'm a procrastinator. Plus, hubby came home late and had homework to do himself. Yeah, week nights are a crapshoot for us.

My presentation for geriatric medicine went well today. My topic was on "The Science and Secrets of Longevity." It was one of the most fun presentations I've ever worked on. I enjoyed doing the research, learned a whole lot, and really liked finding graphics for the Powerpoint. Yes, me and frivolousness are best friends! Here are some of my favorite ones:

This is an actual sign, albeit not in this country, but in the UK. What an inaccurate stereotype of old people. The elderly can be quite capable, physically, well into their 90's.

How does this picture speak to you? I think it speaks of our society which is obessessed with youth and beauty, but often the reality around the corner is something very different and impossible to escape.

So, what did I learn about living long? A combination of good genes, healthy dietary habits, an active mind, and not a small dose of luck will make you a centenarian, too! Sorry, there is no magic bullet from science, yet. One of the most interesting studies done is the Okinawa Centenarian Study (www.okicent.org). Okinawa, Japan has the world's highest concentration of centenarians.

0 comments: