Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ambulatory Medicine

This outfit is what I wore to my last day of work this past Friday, I had my white coat over it, of course. Except I wore a pair of wedge-heeled peep-toes instead of these strappy sandles which are not meant for long hours of wear, I learned from one painful experience. Normally I don't wear the likes of this outfit to work because it's too cutsey and more fitting for a garden tea party or something. Yes, why don't someone invite me to a tea party? I'll find a big straw hat to match!

August has been my amublatory medicine month. A non-medicine friend asked me if "ambulatory" had anything to do with ambulances? Actually no, I always thought ambulatory meant that patients are ambulatory or able to walk, so they are walking in and out of the clinic. In any rate, ambulatory medicine is the same as outpatient medicine, as opposed to inpatient medicine where patients for the most part have to stay inhouse and can't be walking in and out.

I have possibly re-discovered my calling, ambulatory/outpatient medicine. What a great month I've had. In a nutshell, 8-5 job, weekends off, no nights. Most people's jobs are like that, but to me, it was a nice respite, a breath of fresh air. For a month, I was not a slave to my pager, I didn't stay at work a mintue past 5pm, and my weekends were my very own. I also loved the pace of outpatient medicine, I felt comfortable, in my element and competent. Our resident clinic has a fantastic bunch. Blanca and Javier (MAs), thanks so much for being always ready to translate, Ada (MA) for making breakfast tacos on my last day, Kathy (head nurse), for being the glue that holds the clinic together, Sim and Bettina (nurse and MA) for catching my documentation mistakes. And of course my two attendings, Dr.H and Dr.M, whom I've learned a lot from, not just strictly about medicine but about mixing life and medicine.

September means goodbye weekends and hello wards (inpatient medicine). In our residency program, being an upper level on wards means working all the weekends, we take our days off during M-F only. I will be on call the very first day of the month. Being a resident on call means cross-covering for the ICU when the ICU team has gone home, supervising interns' work, doing admissions fromt ER, and heading the codes anywhere in the hospital. It's a bit nerve-wracking just typing about it. Then again, I was ever so nervous when I started off as an intern one year ago. Just as I finally got good at being a intern, the bar is raised. I never feel that I'm quite ready or tall enough to reach that bar but somehow it gets done.

0 comments: