Sunday, June 24, 2007

Home Sweet Home

I just got back from my parents’ place this evening. I spent a few wonderful days at my parents’ home doing what I usually do when I’m home: eat and eat, watch Animal Planet on their big screen TV, laze around on their cushy leather sofa, visit Laurel, take walks with my mom, and all in all, relax. But it is sure nice to be back at my home, too even though we are sans the big TV with cable and wooded neighborhood. I’ve missed Kitty and hubby.

With an overabundant garden and their health consciousness, my parents are practically vegetarians. Have you ever eaten a meal where you chew and chew until your teeth and jaw gets tired but your stomach is not quite yet filled? That’s how I feel when I eat with my parents. Don’t get me wrong, I love their veggie diet! I ate leek dumplings, cucumber salad, raw tomatoes ripe from the vine, stir-fried squashes, and etc. all courtesy of their garden.

Also, thanks to mom, my collection of dress pants has all been shortened to the right length. My in-between leg lengths get me everytime. The petite size pants are usually just a tad too short for heels and the regular size too long. So I have to buy the regular ones and get them deftly shortened by mom or I wear the petite ones and risk being uncool looking.

My other highlight was having brunch with my dear friend Laurel, just the two of us. I don’t remember the last time I spent time with Laurel without a baby or two at her hip. Yes, she has two of the cutest boys in the world, Benji and Zac, but it is nice to have her all to myself, too.

My parents dropped me off half-way in Oklahoma where Paul picked me up. Yeah, it’s weird how I’m 27 years old and my parents and husband doesn’t agree to let me drive a 5-hour trip alone. Somehow I have a reputation of being an “unsafe driver” with them and I’ve never even given them a reason to think that way! I’ve never had a major accident and only a few minors ones that were never my fault. Okay, I had a well-deserved speeding ticket once but my Dad doesn’t even have wind of that. If anything, I’m a safer driver now after that defensive driving course I was forced to take. Anyways, I suppose when family get used to one way of looking at you, their viewpoint don’t easily change.

Hubby has been very productive while I was gone. He installed a working fire alarm, bought a carbon minoxide alarm, back-uped our trip pictures on a CD and even bought me a taser gun! These are all things I’d never think of. Yes, I know how to buy window curtins just the right color and length and I match up wall hangings together very nicely, but a carbon minoxide alarm would never enter my mind. This is why God made men and women and I’m grateful. What I’m most proud of is that he’s been dutifully scooping Kitty’s litterbox everynight which is usually my job and my job alone. This is no small fate for a man who can gag at the thought of something gross.

Back home, hubby and I ate at my new favorite Asian restaurant tonight, Bistro’s in Richardson. Yep, you bet I filled my newly cleansed gut with trans fatty fried food, yum!

0 comments: