Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Soft Spot, Part II

Update 12:40am.
Those animal control officers never came. Yes, I waited up, hubby in bed 2 hours ago. After over 8 hours of holding the cat hostage under my laundry basket outside, I let him out. Final freedom roused a round of “meows” from Blacky, he lingered around for 5 minutes, still wanting to get my attention, before finally leaving my back porch. What did he want from me? Food? No, he’s been fed. Shelter? TLC? He must be so confused and scared. He looked lost. While under hostage, I fed him water, all of Kitty’s snack food, and half of a canned catfood. It was the only solace I could offer him. I watched him go, sick to my stomach, sleepy-eyed, and more than a little miffed.

Was I naïve for believing that the officers would come? Maybe. I even got confirmation that the animal control people work 24 hours around the clock. Who knows? I had to finally say, “enough is enough.” I was going crazy from waiting. I know I’m on break right now, no alarm clocks to worry about, no “work” next day, but I did NOT want this pet project, no pun intended!! I had plenty of happy and sunny things planned. I just don’t want to worry anymore, is that selfish? Is there really all this emotion and commotion inside of me over a cat? Yes, I can’t help but feel for them.

I’m a little (more than a little) angry at irresponsible pet owners everywhere and unreliable animal control agents. I’m heartbroken over the suffering and misery of small innocent animals who were only suited for household living. Perhaps I’m mad at myself for not taking Blacky in. I could become one of those animal rescuers. I could have let him in and did more. But his wound and filth scared me, I didn’t want or know how to deal with that.

What’s to become of Blacky? He’ll come back, no doubt, now hooked on the canned cat food. What shall I do then? I’m too tired to think, but will I be able to sleep tonight?

Update 10:30am
The animal controll officer did come this morning at 10am, I found a note on my door. I missed him, however, since I was still sleeping for staying up so late to wait on him in the first place! Aggg, the irony of this whole ordeal. Blacky is not outside anyways.

0 comments: