Friday, February 15, 2008

Medicine and Religion

Should Doctors Pray for their Patients?

I haven’t read much on this topic to know the consensus agreement or the schools of thought on this out there, but this issue was brought up to me recently and I have some thoughts on it.

Someone at Bible Study wanted to know if I prayed for my patients? I said no, it is not my habit to do so. He proceeded to say something along the line of “well, you can only act in accordance with your conscience. . . without our conscience, then we have nothing.” I didn’t answer him back but just nodded, but now I am a wee bit incensed. Here’s my response to this.

While I don’t pray for my patients in the strict sense, I do have compassion and think about my patients often, many times long after I’ve come home and it is not just because my beeper from the hospital goes off. So to the best of my “conscience,” I feel like this is the right thing to do, praying or not. I am still at the beginning of my medical training, while having compassion for my patients come naturally to me, having a comprehensive arsenal of medical knowledge and know-how doesn’t and it is that latter tool I seek to sharpen everyday. I don’t doubt prayers for patients are important but I don’t believe it is my role as a doctor. There are chaplains for every religion and denomination in the hospital, there are community resources just for the spiritual needs of the sick. And of course there are family members and friends. If it was me on the other side of the sick bed, I would ask and expect all my friends to pray for my loved one. But as a doctor, what I do pray about regularly is that I don’t hurt people under my care and that God would give me the strength to do what I need to do to become the doctor the patients need. So, no I don’t pray for my patients directly. I believe what they need from me is competent medical practice and advice. Prayers help people but they don’t always treat or cure diseases, medicine and surgery do. If prayers had the track records that cardiac catherization has on heart attacks or surgery has on an infected gallbladder, then medical professionals would be taught on the mechanisms and practice of praying along with pharmacology and pathology. The fact remains, God chooses to answer very few of the human prayers for delivering people from illness. That is simply not His way. Our limited human-ness can’t understand why but that is just the way it is. What praying lacks, medicine picks up with drugs and technology. No, medical science does not cure spiritual ills, but then again it wasn’t meant to do that nor was I trained to so. I’m glad there are special gifted people who become chaplains or prayer warriors that tend to patients' spiritual needs which arguably is on par with a person’s physical needs.

Unlike my friend at Bible study, I don’t look at everyone I meet or every situation I encounter through spiritually-colored lenses. Perhaps I should, perhaps this is a mark of my spiritual immaturity, but nevertheless, it is my station in life now. Perhaps one day I will reach new heights spiritually and have a completely different view but right now I’m just not there yet.

This same said friend expressed his concern that I was becoming a back-sliding Christian and wanted to know if hubby and I could meet an extra day on a weekday with them (since I can make it on weekends only seldomly), to help me back on track, so to speak. In his usual subtle-ness, he basically said we are all busy people and if we are truly dedicated, then time wouldn’t be an excuse. Yes, I agree we are all busy, I don’t degrade their busy-ness beneath me but I also know myself and what I’m able to do and not do. I agree I don’t always use my time wisely, definitely too much time Googling such non-sense as lop-sided bunnies and watching Cashmere Mafia on-line. However, it is my winding down time and I probably won’t become disciplined enough to change. I whole-hearted am grateful for their concern for my spiritual health. They are wonderful friends to count on and to have. However, I can’t imagine adding on another regularly scheduled activity onto my plate since I’m not evening doing well with the ones already on it! What I’d love is for them to pray for me and of course their understanding for the fact that this is a demanding and exciting time in my life.

You know what else I really need? A maid!! Seriously, I’m looking for one and in the process of deciding whether we can afford one or not.

To be honest, I am most concerned these days with becoming a competent physician, most other things have taken a back burner in life. Such is the season in my life, and like other seasons, it’ll come to pass. I still know too little to be where I need to be one day but I know enough to know medical errors happen and can hurt or kill patients and I never want that to happen to me. One of the many cited drawbacks of medicine by physician themselves is the tremendous liability that we have on my minds and backs. Medical errors kill thousands of patients every year. For me, the issue can’t be overemphasized or overstated. Even as a lowly intern, because I have the power to prescribe, the treatment or medications I order or didn’t order can have detrimental effects on people. We are all human and human errors happen but I hope to never become too jaded or too careless to make such a fatal mistake.


That’s my rant.

0 comments: