Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks so I'm thankful to had the time off to celebrate this year. Last year this time, I was working at the Terrell State Hospital for psychiatric patients. Ahh, the sweet freedom of a fourth-year medical student. I am noting this because next year when I'll be better known as a "intern," I'm likely to be spending Thanksgiving in the hospital. Paul and I spent four days with my parents in Arkansas. Tradition at my house is that we have a turkey and rest of the meal being Chinese dishes. Like usual, my mother busied herself in the kitchen cooking for us through the long weekend, and we enjoyed the usual fare, dumplings, steamed buns, fish that my Dad caught, veggies from their own garden. We also caught up with old friends and watched football. Ruefully, the Arkansas Razorbacks lost to LSU, :(. Football was something that bought Paul and my Dad together as they can both passionately talk about it. It was all in all, a very good Thanksgiving. I think I ate myself round, as one can tell from some of the pictures.

Mom and I by a pond in their neighborhood. The weather was so beautiful, wonderfully comfortable in the 70's.

Close-up of the darling ducks. They belong to neighbors of my parents. When I saw them, I thought of yummy pickled duck eggs! These two are always next to each other, whether they are on water or on land. They must be in love, or are best buddies.


Another pair of best buddies! So, that's how I look in glasses, which is what I'm wearing most days now. LASIK, I can't wait!!

Mom on my bike. It reminded her how she use to get around in China by bicycling everywhere and I'd sit on the bar of the bike in front of her. I was small enough then, of course.


An "artsy" shot. It did not turn out the way I thought it would, the picture looks all doomsday/Halloween-like, although it was the same day as the above pics. I like the colors of the sky, though.



Ha ha, someone had parked a tractor under this tree. Rather idyllic or bucolic, no? Also reminded me of Mater and the tractors in the cartoon movie "Cars." You can spot Paul as the tiny person in the background.

The cooks in the family.

With friend, David, Paul's old roomie, who's from Malaysia.

With friend, Jill, from Zimbabwe. She's getting married next April!

Family photos. Fun with the tripod and camera timer. It's hard to get four people to look good at the same time! This picture was given an "antique" touch.


This picture was given a "soft glow."



My favorite picture of Paul and I. Untouched. Should I make this into a Christmas card?? Haven't decided.

My mother's favorite picture of the night. Look at her most prized plant, the Zygocactus, also known as the Christmas cactus.

That was our Thanksgiving 2006. We returned home to a very yappy and hungry cat, she was waiting for us outside with an empty bowl. I had left too little food for her. I felt very bad. Since weather was so warm, I had decided to let Kitty stay outside while we were gone. She's now full, content and sleeping next to me as I type!:)

0 comments: